Online casinos, like its mainstream counterpart, offer gamblers that unquenchable thrill for a big, easy win. Call it what it is: a game of chance. Nothing is more exciting to a veteran casino player, than not knowing what the next twitch of the slot machine, the flip of a card, or the roll of a dice could mean.
But exactly what kind of risks should a gambler take? The answer is simple: only what you can afford to risk. Here are ten practical tips for Internet casino enthusiasts:
1. Play what you know. Experimenting on new games is not uncommon even in popular casino havens like Las Vegas or Atlantic City. “Try a new game, maybe you’ll have beginner’s luck,” says a popular gambling cliché. When it comes to serious play though, gamblers should stick with what they know. Today, what you see in mainstream casinos can easily be translated on the Internet. Whether you want to sit in an interactive poker game or play slots, it’s all online so choose well.
2. Know the rules of new games. Just can’t get over that feeling of trying something new? Don’t fret; you’re free to do exactly that. If you’re really aching to learn baccarat, craps or some other game unfamiliar to you, just make sure you read up on the rules. Remember that some gambling games have different versions and a different set of rules. Poker is a good example of this.
3. Work on your strategy. Everyone has a secret gambling strategy – and so should you. Just stick to the legal stuff though. No card counting. No fake aces (Although, I’d love to see how you could pull that one off online). If it’s a game you’ve played a thousand times before, study what has worked for you in the past and keep innovating on it.
4. Know your odds. Just like having a good strategy in card games, knowing your odds in games like roulette or craps is a must. For instance, even before laying down your chips, find out if the roulette wheel has a double zero. This particular slot can determine what the house edge is – the variance between a single zero and a double zero roulette wheel could mean as much as 3%.
5. Expect to get only as much as you give. In slot machines, it’s all about taking big risks. When those cherries line up and that bell starts sounding off, you’ll soon learn what I mean. Play the maximum amount and you can win the progressive jackpot. Skimp on your coins and you’ll get just about the same handful that you’ve been playing for the past hour.
6. Expect to lose. Just like knowing what kind of payout you’d get with your minimum bets, it’s also imperative that you understand that you can’t always win. It isn’t just in Vegas that the house always wins. Even with the smartest bets and solid strategies, the odds could still be in favor of the online casino.
7. Know when to stop. If online gambling becomes a financial burden, then you’ve gone overboard. Just to keep your spending in check, try to set aside a certain gambling budget every time you go online and stick to that limit.
8. Where you play matters. One major risk posed by online gaming is the veil of anonymity offered by the Internet and the increased probability of scams. When choosing your online casino, pick one that is reputable. You could try them out first with smaller wins, find out if they pay up what’s due you and how long it takes them to do so.
9. Find out if it’s legal. It isn’t always. Some states, regions or countries outlaw online gambling. Before you even set-up your online casino account, find out if you’re on your way to breaking the law.
10. Have fun! It goes without saying, online casinos are meant to be fun. They usually do a good job trying to mimic live gambling halls with the sights and sounds you’re familiar with. You’re there to play, so enjoy.